"87 4runner

I'm having a problem with my temperature gauge. When the truck is cold & I start it up, as the temperature gauge starts to register it goes to the white line at the top, stays there for a few seconds & then drops to normal. We've done the head gasket & changed the thermostat. We made sure the air is out of the system. It's not overheating but I'm afraid it will in the future. Has anyone else heard of this problem? Thanks

Reply to
kuiaha

Are you SURE you installed the thermostat with the proper end facing out?

Reply to
Philip

It was done by a mechanic. We've tried 2. He's ordering one from Toyota.

Reply to
kuiaha

Is a common problem. You need a two stage thermostat to fix it. See middle of the page:

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Lee