87 help with Distributor/Head

Hay I have an 87' Toy pickup and to be short and to the point. I replaced the Cyl Head(Checker Auto Reman-ed head) and everything fits perfect except the Distributor. The distributor has a step halfway down the shaft. The Distributor slides in intell it hits that step and clinks. Is there an easy way to remidy this? New distributor? HELP PLEASE!

Reply to
Tricck

If it's like most other cars, you have to wiggle the distributor shaft until the drive gears mesh, and it will drop past that point till it's /almost/ all the way in.

And then you have to turn the engine forward a bit by hand until the drive tang at the bottom of the distributor shaft meshes with the oil pump gears at the bottom. Then it will drop into the final position.

Try that, call back if it still doesn't work. ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman