Failed Emissions AGAIN

This has been a constant battle with my 85 pickup 22r. Three years ago i tried to get the thing to pass to no avail. The only thing that helped was doing a valve clearance adjustmen. I did the same thing yesterday to try and remedy the problem ( excessive CO emissions on high RPM) along with an air cleaner, spark plugs, cap, rotor, and oil change. AND it actually got worse!!! Now it sounds like one of my valves is knocking, and im no farther along in getting the thing to pass than i was before. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reply to
Daniel Garrison

I didn't hear you say anything about your spark plug wires. Could your replacing your plugs have agitated bad carbon filament plug wires and broken the connection even more ?

On my 88 22r I put spiral conductive core plug wires, and brass electrode cap and rotor. Common Carbon Filament plug wires really suck I wish they were never placed on the market.

What did the fuel burn on your old plugs look like ?

How bout your ignition timing ?

Just some guesses.

Reply to
owl_1971_spammers_tongues_are_toilet_paper

I didnt replace the wires. But they looked in good shape?

The plugs had carbon deposits on them and one or two had ash deposits, which i discovered with help of the manual and the troubleshooting guide for spark plugs.

Timing has been checked recently and was spot on.

Reply to
Daniel Garrison

Speaking of fuel burn, my '88 pickup with a 22r has had a black, sooty tailpipe since the day I bought it new. It always passes the California smog test, but it looks bad with the soot in the inside of the tailpipe and about a quarter of an inch on the outside, around the tip. I'm always envious when I see can see the inside tailpipe seam on newer, fuel injected vehicles.

I don't consider that to be tailpipe envy... :>))

Reply to
TOM

With the "rag wires" fiber there is no way to visually inspect them. I think you could get a measurement with an OHM meter but I've not measured those types of wires. They may be way high in resistance making the OHM meter useless.

I just thought if your measurement of CO got worse, suspect the wires because the Carbon filament gets brittle and likes to brake.