87 hilux pickup 4x4 broken wheel stud became 3

hey all again.

87 hilux pickup 4x4. rear drum brake

my one broken wheel stud soon became 3. but at least i now have the wheel off woohoo! After possible a miracle, i managed to get the drum off as well. now, my question this time is. how do you remove the plate with all the studs in?

it looks possible to bash the old studs out while still in place, but i dont want to cause extra damage to any internals.

thanks for any help.

tinpot

Reply to
Tinpotlocal

If that's a semi-floating regular axle, taking it all the way out is a big pain in the ass, you need to take the cover off the 'pumpkin' and take the Circlip out that holds the shaft in.

Don't even try unless you are changing the axle bearings, want to look at the condition of the ring gear, or just need a reason to change the axle gear oil and the rear cover gasket...

You can gently TAP the remains of the broken studs out with the axle shaft in place, with something heavy held on the backside as a damper, but don't bash them out - you can wreck the wheel bearings by beating on the end of the axle. And the new studs should suck right into the hole with a lugnut and a stack of washers.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman