85 hilux 4x4 frame damage

I have had my 1985 4x4 extra cab hilux since it was new. Three years ago traveling about 25 mph I hit some black ice and slid off the road and ended up in the ditch with the front end hitting a vertical clay bank. After convincing the insurance company to fix the truck I had the body work done and then to the frame shop to be straightened. Straightening was easier said then done. After 2 days in the shop they finally got it driveable but not back to factory. Still a little squirly on the road but not bad. I have driven it that way since then. I recently bought a 2001 Taco V6 (and love it) and have been letting my 16 yr old son use the 85 hilux. Boys being boys he had a low speed woods impact with an oak tree in the front left, damaged the fender & corner light. I understand the front tread of the left tire came to rest (or struck) on the tree also.

My current problem is we (my son) took it in for an alignment , just to be sure the tires continued to wear correctly and they did some adjustment but the truck drives much worse. He took it back and they tweaked something and made it drive a little better but its still more than squirly on the road, pulls left some and the steering wheel now seems a little off center. I called and discussed the vehicle history, past and current problem with the alignment shop manager. He would like me to leave the truck with him so he can take a closer look and suggests a ball joint could be bent slightly. This shop is not the frame shop from 2 yrs ago but a good low overhead family owned tire & alignment shop, good folks with dirty hands. Obviously not alergic to work. I supose I'll let them look some more at and see what they can determine.

The truck has 180k miles and is just too good to abandon.

Do most or some Toyota Dealers have equipment and expertise at frame straightening ? Could they have an enhanced knowledge of the Toyota Frame bending / straightening requirements? We have 3-4 dealers within my range maybe I should call them and ask them about their expertise with frames.....

Any one have suggestions for a good frame person in east Tennessee, Knoxville area ??

What do you think? All your suggestions and help are greatly appreciated !

Thanks ! ! Scott

Reply to
sjohnsen

You'll spend far more than the 2-3k that its worth. Toyota deals sub out stuff like frame work since equipemnt is so expensive and specialized. If independent frame shop couldn't fix years ago -- it probably is beyond repair at a reasonable cost. A frame is a frame - doesn't take Toyota expertise. Find PU/4Rnr that has a blown engine or trans and swap out yours to it and sell off the left over parts.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Frame straightening makes me nervous. It has all the markings of the paper clip procedure. Bend, straighten, bend, straighten, SNAP! I would think that the first episode of bending and straightening would have weakened the frame and a the second hit even more so. The steering wheel being off center would seem to point the drag link either being bent or possibly that whole segment of the axle housing no longer being in the appropriate relation to the steering box. Although the pins should prevent it from doing so, is it possible the axle got pushed back on the leave springs from the impact or some similar spring related trauma? Have you checked to see if the distance between the front and rear wheels is the same on both sides of the truck?

Chris whitewall junkie Mfinja's Hot Wheels with WhitewallsAll Small Wheels Error Cars

Reply to
Whitewall Junkie