2007 Tacoma Wheel studs

For the first time I attempted to rotate the tires on my 2007 Tacoma

4x4. ( 7400 miles ).

I know what EVERYONE will think, but I swear I am not the "other nut at the end of the wrench".

I have done this for over 30 years and use a torque wrench ane have never had an issue on any vehicle. This was the third of my vehicles I did today, the others having no issues ( and causing me not to doubt the torque wrench).

The pass rear wheel was glued to the brake drum. A slight rap on the back and they came off ( dealer recommended this when called just to be sure there was nothing I missed ). Thats bad enough.

When I retorqued the nuts, using a torque wrench, in steps of 40,60, to 85 ft-lb, the final torque, one stud twisted off just as pretty as can be.

Anybody else had an issue? I am concerned that the studs may have a metallurgical issue. :?

Reply to
Yaker

When you say that the "stud twisted off" at 85 ft-lbs of torque, do you mean that it broke? If it was cross-threaded or if the threads had debris, that can cause them to snap. More likely, the stud was defective. Bring the pieces to the dealer to see if they will cover it under warranty.

You didn't mention whether you have steel or alloy wheels, but alloy wheels should be torqued to about 75 ft-lbs and steel to 85.

It is no uncommon for wheels to stick to the mounting surfaces - a little anti-seize where the wheel contacts the drum or rotor will prevent further sticking.

Reply to
Ray O