88 Van electrical glitch

Greetings folks

I have a hopefully minor problem. Started the van a couple weeks ago and all the idiot lights stayed on. Had this problem in the past and it was the alternator that time. So I again replaced the brushes and reinstalled it. Idiot lights were still on. Checked battery connections and they were tight. Tried it again and the lights were on. Next day I was going to work on it some more and started it. Everything was fine.

Yesterday while driving all the idiot lights came on again.

So I reluctantly dragged out my multimeter and started checking things. Battery is 12 volts. With engine not running there is 12volts at the bolt where the alternator bolts to the van. With the engine running the alternator reads 15 volts. With the engine running the battery reads 12 volts.

Seems something is wrong between the alternator and the battery.

Fuses are good. What is the most likely place for a wiring fault? Is there a fusable link in the line someplace? Is there an online site where I can look at a diagram of the wiring harness without paying money?

Bernadette

Reply to
Doc Font

There is a plastic cube with 2 or 3 fuses for the alternator. When you lift up the seats to look at engine I think there is another panel to open in back of seats and along metal that runs across the van there is a little box with fuses or fusible links for alternator. I can't be more specific because I fixed this one years ago but I remember it being in back of drivers seat kinda hard to see.

Reply to
Edmechanic

There is also a current limiter (fusible link) in a yellow plastic cover close to the battery.Check this and all electrical connections associated with batt and alternator system for loose or corroded connectors/wiring especially if your vehicle has been subjected to road salt or lots of water.Toyota van owners site is Toyota Vans .org.Lots of good info there and friendly people. Good luck. Robbie Trenton Ontario.

Reply to
Roboots