89' Pickup- Sometimes it Starts, Sometimes it Don't

1989 Toyota Pup 2WD 4CYL- My truck will start 6 or 7 times without a hitch and then I'll drive someplace and park and when I come back to leave, the engine won't turn over. The battery is working, the guages light up, the buzzer will sound if the door is open. But when I turn the key in the ignition to crank it, nothing. The two times it has happened recently, I let it sit for 1-6 hours, came back and it turned over and cranked. No anomalies in the weather (rain, etc.) The one similarity I noticed was that both incidents happened after the first time I drove the vehicle and shut it off that particular day. Dealer of course can't replicate the problem. Any suggestions?
Reply to
Malcolm

If cleaning the terminals does not help, sounds like the 'toyota starter contact' problem. It is easy to repair after you get the starter in your hands. The positive contact wears away until the plunger cannot make good contact every time. Try

ed_herman

Yup - starter contacts - cheap fix if you can do work yourself.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Reply to
Malcolm

I have to same problem with my 1990 4x4 pu with the 22re engine. I have check everything from the battery to the starter. I have replaced the starter twice, replaced the battery. I thought it might of been the clutch over ride switch so I bypasses it and a month later it did it again. When i use a volt meter I found a voltge drop of 4 volts between the battey and key switch. When i check the battery it self it reads

12.89 volts. Once I hook an jumper battery it starts okThis has been a ongoing problem for 2 years now. What I have done now is installed a bypass switch, so when It won't start I just push the switch and it starts everytime. Gordon
Reply to
gordon507

A 4 volt drop between the battery and key switch is way too much!! You have some bad connections somewhere that is degrading the electrical circuit.

Check both ground connections including under the bolts to the metal and the positive wiring connections.

Re-hookup the safety switches before someone accidentally sends your truck forward during startup.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul.

a few years ago I worked on a 22re, I don't remember the year. It had a bad relay. the relay was under the dash near the steering column. the ign switch and safety switches energized the relay, the relay sent power to the starter. Mike K

Reply to
Mike K