1996 SL2 Doesn't Start....Sometimes

I have 96 SL2 with a standard transmission. On Monday and Tuesday, the car would not start. I turned the ignition, heard a low buzz and nothing happened. Not even clicking sound from the starter, let alone the engine cranking.

The battery power works fine; I could turn on the lights and listen to the radio. Connectors on the battery are in good shape.

The tow truck driver was able to get the car to do a rolling start. I had it the dealer for two days and the car continuously started. From what they could tell, the start, alternator and battery all work fine. They gave me the car back today, completely puzzled and unsure what to do.

I've had two previous starting problems over the past few months. Both times, the engine would turn over. These occurred when I started the car, drove it to a store. Went in, restarted the car, drove it to another nearby store. Went, tried to restart the car and nothing happened. In both previous instances, the car started after about

10-15 minutes.

Any ideas as to what could be happening?

Reply to
sweat

My '96 SL2 with automatic had exactly the same problem. The solution was to replace the starter. I was told the problem could also be with the ignition switch but that didn't apply in my case.

Reply to
Steve

Did you wait for the starter to completely go or just went ahead and replaced it?

Reply to
sweat

We went ahead and replaced it. I hate being stranded away from home.

Reply to
Steve