90 diesel land cruiser

hi all

Have a 90 land cruiser diesel with right hand drive ( never released in north America) and cannot find the fuse for the glow plugs....any ideas?

uboo

Reply to
GM Place

Carlton Clay

I'm betting you aren't going to find a conventional fuse - the glow plugs take a lot of juice, somewhere between 50 and 100 amps, more than even electric window motors. Those items don't take regular fuses, or if they do they're going to be the big ones that bolt into a two-stud block, protected by a plastic cover against accidental shorts.

And if it isn't an oversized fuse, I'd expect it to be protected by a thermal circuit breaker, or a fusible link - special wire that pops like a fuse.

Are you sure that the glow plug relay is closing and sending juice to the glow plugs? First thing I'd do is get out the good old fashioned test light and see where the power is or isn't going.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Reply to
GM Place

Don't give up so easily! Think! ;-) Okay, you know what gauge and color wire it is, and what direction it was headed when you saw it last. Now keep going in that direction and see what is next...

Was it one big wire that obviously looped through all (four? six?) glowplugs, or did each one have it's own #10 going into the harness? If they were four separate leads, there may be a big splice inside the harness where the #10's turn into one larger #6, but they usually don't change wire color mid stream. Usually.

Next step: Check at the underhood fuse center for big relays with that color wire landing on the bottom, or a stand-alone solenoid style relay near the battery with that color on one side.

If it's in a fuse and relay cluster, they usually mark them for function somewhere on the block or the cover, even if it's done in cryptic abbreviations.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman