Land Cruiser or MDX????

I'm interested in a '05 Land Cruiser but my wife seems to like the Acura MDX. I currently drive a '00 4 Runner limited and love it!

Anyone have any input on either vehicle??

Anyone have any idea what a lease is on a new Land Cruiser in the NY/NJ area???

Thanks in advance to all that can help.

John.

Reply to
John

The Land Cruiser and Acura MDX are not really comparable vehicles - the Land Cruiser has a V8 and the MDX has a 6 cylinder, and although the LC has more power, it gets poorer fuel economy than the MDX. There are differences in interior space, towing, and off-road capability, which are all better in the LC. Of course, if you are looking for AWD only for driving on snow-covered streets, the additional capabilities of the LC are probably not necessary. If you often drive with 5 or more passengers, the LC will accelerate and cruise more nicely than the MDX. We have a Sequoia with most of the benefits of the LC at a lower cost, you may wish to check that out as well. All 3 vehicles should be similar in reliability, the LC may have a slight edge on percent of acquisition cost retained at resale or lease termination.

Reply to
Ray O

I forgot to mention, my garage won't fit a Sequoia. Low headroom clearance.

Thanks anyway, John

snow-covered

termination.

Reply to
John

I adjusted our garage door opener so it pulls the door completely horizontally and our Sequoia just squeaks in. An unintended benefit of the Limited trim level is power retracting outside mirrors, necessary to fit in width-wise.

Good luck on your purchase!

Reply to
Ray O

Roll up door or Sheet door?

Typical garage door height is about 7'. With a sheet door you lose about

4-6". With a roll up or panel door you don't lose as much depending on how it was installed. My 2001 LC is about 6' 6". I'd say the Sequoia is about the same height. The antenna is the part that is usually beat up by the garage door, because the tip is higher than the roof rack. The LC has a manual antenna height adjuster.

Getting back to the original thread. $60k vs. $45k, that's a big difference. The MDX is more like the Lexus RX330 than the LC. The LC is more comparable to the Navigator, Escalade, Hummer, LR3, etc. If your thinking about leasing, your better off buying, unless you can write off the lease. The difference you'll be paying is only about $300 over 60 months. The LC is due for a new face lift soon, resale prices will likely fall a bit more when the new model comes out.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Joseph Wind

The Land Cruiser is dreadful, actually - it's too heavy and lumbers and sways in turns. It's a big truck.

The vehicle you should look at is the 4-Runner with the V6. Plenty of power to get around town and with the X-Reas suspension option(Sport version, IIRC), it handles like a minivan. That is to say, quite decently in city traffic.

The MDX is closer to the Lexus 330, which *is* built on a minivan chassis.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I did the same to my door so it retracts completely horizontal, however it's the arm in the center, from the door to the opener that would interfere with the headroom. If only it was a couple of inches higher!!!!!!!

Reply to
John