92 4Runner lack of power

I changed spark-plugs,cap,rotor,air-filter,cat,muffler,tail-pipe.and set time.Some power in 1st thru 3rd less in 4th none in 5th gear Any idea Thanks

Reply to
Mudduck
22RE or 3.0 V6? Oversize tires? Compression? Injectors calibrated/clean? Miles?
Reply to
Wolfgang

How did you set ya timming? Did you bridge out the shorting terminals like in the book or just grab a timmign light and away you went?

I set mine by ear last time as the light was playing up. Got it checked by mechanic a month later and it was perfect. I know, I know lucky guess right.

Have you checked your compression? Are you using water? Is there bubbles comming up through the radiator when the caps off? Is there any blowback out the oil filler cap? Are the plugs correct? Correct gap?

Reply to
Scotty

Sorry its a 3.0 V6, 32"tires, Compression ok,110psi highest 105psi lowest.

157xxx miles.ran great until now.I wil check injectors today. thanks
Reply to
Mudduck

Who says 105-110 psi compression is OK? It should be around 170psi. Check your compression tester. It's that or something is very wrong with that engine.

Reply to
Eddie

The compression reading just shows there is some engine wear, normal for an engine with 157,000 miles! The thing to look for is one cylinder to be drastically different from the others, which there isn't. The compression is OK! Look somewhere else. Bad spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap. Yes, it's possible to buy a bad new spark plug, it only needs to be dropped once to crack the insulator and cause an ignition short. Have you had the igniter or ignition coil checked? Most parts places will check these for free.

Reply to
MrFixit469

Some engine wear? A 60psi (170 down to 110) is a ton of wear. At around

90 psi it's gets real hard to get gas to burn.

If the engine is in fact at around 110 psi compression, then the rings or valves are shot. I am really questioning if the compression tester is bad since all cylinders are around the same level. Normally, you will see one cylinder go fist and loose compression.

And 110psi is not normal for an engine with 157k miles unless it's been run without an air cleaner. I have 337k on my 3L engine and the compression is around 160 psi.

I suggest Mudduck have a dealer to a second compression check.

Reply to
Eddie

I was going through the same thing, and replaced plugs,cap,rotor,pcv and then finally a new fuel filter helped

Reply to
ToddWiedeman