94 4Runner Tailgate woes

As is typical with an East Coast vehicle with 200k miles, I have some rust issues. The lifter arms for the window in the tailgate have become terribly worn and one is actually free from the window. I carefully guide the window up when I actually use it. When I went to lower it today, no go. When I use the key in the tailgate switch, I can hear a click, sounds like it is right around the drivers side tail light.

Couple of questions for you.

1 Is there a common problem I should address first? If I hear a click that far back I would think the relay to the tailgate is working to a point. 2 Is there a way to manually lower the window? I would like to be able to at least open the thing, even if it is a total pain in the ass. 3 What is the best resource for replacing the tailgate? I need some front fenders and a bit of attention to the door panel rust, but the thing runs pissa and had plenty of life left, so I aint scared of dropping some money into body restoration.

Thanks all!

Reply to
David N Emmet