95 pickup - recall - extra work

Hi All,

Toyota just tracked me down and let me know about the steering linkage recall. Hope to get it done later this week. When I had the head gasket recall work done they replaced the timing belt, water pump, themostat (etc) for the price of parts only. Just wondering if anyone knows the general procedure? Wondering if there is anything else I should get done while they are replacing the linkage.

thanks.

Pete

Reply to
river1

Interestingly, I have also got the steering linkage recall notice for my '94 V6 SR5 AUTO 4RUNNER. It is so surprising, I have bought it used just recently at about 192,000 miles (NO TYPO HERE).

I am also wondering what other services can be done cheap while the delaer is doing the recall work. The recall notice says the job will take about 4 hours. I think my 4RUNNER need new front half-shafts as I hear ticking noise when 4x4 is engaged and right turns.

TIA.

Reply to
vktechmails

There really isn't much to this recall for the linkage. Take off two castle nuts, remove steering rod, replace steering rod, tighten nuts. The actual labor process once the car is in the shop for this is about 15 minutes, especially since we've been doing a dozen a day for the past two months. So anyway, there isn't anything else you can really piggy back ontop of the existing labor already being paid by Toyota.

Reply to
qslim

Does this recall apply to 1992 Toyota PickUps?

Reply to
Tony

It applied to my 91. If you email toyota with your VIN they'll be able to tell you all of the outstanding recalls. I had three done this January. Head Gasket, Steering Rod and Headlights and wiring.

HTH,

-Andrew

Reply to
DruG

thanks. I had it done yesterday and the service advisor could not tell me one way or another.

Also, they first mentioned that they would perform an alignment and then they retracted this. Is it necessary after this work?

Reply to
river1

I did not think they were still doing head gasket recalls. I had the Head Gasket replaced at 90K miles, and it blew again at 180K miles. I wonder since they replaced it the first time, if they will cover it again. I too got the Steering Rod notice, but I was going to get the head gasket fixed first. BTW I have a 93 4Runner SR5.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

The head gasket recall was for the 3VZ-E 3.0L V6. I remember hearing the

5VZs (3.4L) were also recalled. Some recalls don't expire coz it's a safety issue. I have not heard of any steering rods failing, but it's better to be safe than on the back side of Class Action lawsuit.

Reply to
Joseph Wind