96 Tacoma clutch

I have a 1996 Tacoma 3.4L 4X4 ext cab. In the last few days my clutch pedal has developed about 60% play in it and only operates the clutch during the last 2-3 inches of depression. Shifting gears on a cold enginine is near impossible. A friend says it is the slave cylinder. Can this be bled or replaced with out removing the trans? The reason I ask is that if I am going to remove the whole thing, I might as well replace the clutch. As far as I know it is the original clutch with about 153,000 miles and is still as tight as the day I bought the pickup used at 46,000 miles. Does anyone recommend a particular aftermarket clutch for performance gains? What would the perfomance gain be, if any?

Reply to
Davo

No point in replacing the clutch if its still good. The slave cylinder can easily be replaced, and with it the master cylinder should be done as well.

Reply to
qslim

if it's the clutch hydraulics, you can usually pull the rubber boot on each cylinder and find fluid in the one that's leaking. Master and slave don't necessarily go or need to be replaced at the same time. These are not pull the engine repairs. I sold my '88 with over 200k miles on it and the original clutch.

Reply to
JeB

Thank you for the response. I looked in the master reservoir and it looks to be pretty near empty, but not completely. Could this be my problem? Could I just fill with Type 3 and go about my business? I don't see any evidence of leaks so I wonder where it went. Would I have to bleed the system?

Reply to
Davo

You most likely have a leak. To determine whether it is the master cylinder or slave cylinder look at each one and the leak should be obvious. For the master cylinder look under the dash were the linkage attaches to the master cylinder, if it is leaking you should be able to see fluid running down the firewall. The slave cylinder will leak at the rubber boot. You may have to pull the boot back to see the leak if it is not leaking real bad. You will have to bleed the system if it is opened or any parts are replaced.

Reply to
Mike