94 SL clutch problem

This car had it's clutch replaced last summer, and in December started having "shifting problems". That was how my neice described the problem. When I tried to drive it, the problem seems to be that the clutch is now failing to release completely. I can start in neutral and get it in gear, but just the slightest release of the clutch sends the car on its way. It wasn't like this when we gave the car to her, so this just crept up on us. I think it might be the slave cylinder. Is there an adjustment I can make before I replace this? Do I need to replace the master cylinder along with it? The AutoZone website sort of recommends this. I would have bled it but apparently the stock parts can't be bled. Can a replacement slave cylinder be bled without replacing the master cylinder?

Reply to
Mike Tindall

These were the exact symptoms when my clutch master/slave cylinder went out. I don't think they can be replaced independently of each other, or bled either. The replacement isn't very difficult and the average driveway mechanic can easily do the job.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

Thanks for your reply. Does the replacement kit come sealed and pre bled?

Reply to
Mike Tindall

Yeah.

If the complaint is hard shifting, then check the fluid level first. It uses DOT 3 brake fluid. Otherwise, all you can do is replace the thing :(

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski