'97 RAV4 turn signal-headlight control arm problem

A switch in the turn signal-headlight control arm is wearing out in my '97 RAV4. At night, when I turn left, the headlights can go out. I found that if I turn the end of the arm a bit the headlights go back on. A mechanic told me that brass contacts under the plastic end wear out and soon I won't even be able to get the headlights to go back on.

Is replacement of whatever is needed to fix this too complicated a repair project for me? Are special tools required to fix this?

One Toyota dealer in town wants over $400 to fix this. The other one is town wants over $200.

Tell me what you think about this.

Thanks

Reply to
fprot74

First find out how much the assembly costs from the Part dept. I had a similar problem with the OD button on the end of the drive lever. The dealer wanted $150 (discounted) for the whole assembly. I just rewired the OD switch to a panel toggle switch on the dash.

Though you situation is a little different, you might be able to find the Turn Lever Assembly at a junk yard and DIY, for much less.

Reply to
Rastamon

Rockauto.com has them for $102.89 + shipping. You need to remove some plastic covers, but I don't know how involved they are. After that it's pretty much 2 screws/bolts and plug-and-play from the picture:

If you are not mechanically inclined or don't have friends who are, then I'd take the $200 deal.

Reply to
johngdole