97 tacoma hard miss in cold weather

I have a 97 tacoma with 117,000 miles. When the weather gets really cold or cold and wet it develops a random hard miss. It will run fine and randomly (maybe every 5 highway miles) it will miss so hard the engine sometimes goes completely dead for a second then restarts (It's a 5 speed so it roll starts itself). I have changed the usual things (plugs, wires, fuel filter). As well it has a new O2 sensor and relatively new timing belt. In the summer months and when its not missing it runs great. Any suggestion?

Reply to
egad

You did not specify if its a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine although you say you have a timing belt versus a chain which would make it a 4 cylinder engine. Sounds like a electrical issue which could be due to either a hairline fracture in the distributor cap which only happens in cold weather or an intermittent coil pickup in the distributor. I would try replacing both.

Regards,

Howard Epste> I have a 97 tacoma with 117,000 miles. When the weather gets really cold or

Reply to
Howard Epstein