New to the Toyota Scene

I bought my first Toyota truck last weekend, an '04 Tacoma base model, standard cab. 2.4L, 5-speed. It had 7 miles on the odometer when I brought it home. Gotta love new-car smell. :-)

Anyway, I was looking through the owner's manual and saw that the recommended oil change interval is 5,000 miles/6 months. I've been in the habit of changing oil every 3,000 miles, so my questions are:

(1) Other than the added expense for oil and filters, is there any downside to changing the oil every 3,000 miles? (The truck is used primarily for freeway commuting.) I like Chevron oil because that's what Costco carries.

(2) Any tricks I need to know to avoid a big mess when removing the filter?

TIA.

=== Steve Shoreline, Washington USA snipped-for-privacy@seanet.com

1 Feb 2004, 1443 PST
Reply to
Stephen Dailey

Split the difference and change out at 4,000. I'm not sure if your oil filter is like my 99 Tacoma 2.4 L. Filter is mounted vertical.

I take a two liter "Coke" bottle that has been cut in half and enclose it around the filter after it's loose.Make sure you have the half that has the bottle neck,this makes it easier to hold. Best of luck with your "New Baby". Take good care of her and she won't let you down.

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

There is no downside to changing the oil in a vehicle at less than the manufacturer's suggested intervals.

I know nothing about Chevron oil: I'll use any major brand, but I don't use cheap stuff. My father suggested I try Rotella 66 in my truck, as according to him that's what's used in the overwhelming majority of the country's truck engines. I'm debating going synthetic.

Haven't changed the oil in mine yet, and besides, yours is a lot newer - don't know if they've moved it. So no help there.

Dreamer

I like to do my maintenance every 5,000 miles. Includes rotating tires. Maintenance is easy to remember, just keep an eye on the odometer and when it hits that 5 or 0 it is time for maintenance. I don't use synthetics, they last to long (cost to much) and don't fit my maintenance schedule. My first toy truck, an 89 4x4 went 230,000 miles and was still going strong when I traded it on my 2000 tundra. (95,000 miles in three years) Except for one major warrranty issue, the truck has been great. Trans. went up at

60,000 miles. Was handled to my satisfaction. I continue to toot the toyota tune.

Good luck, If you take care of it, It will take care of you.

Reply to
Dennis

Shell Rotella oil is adequate; you can buy better oil for the same price. Rotella isn't used in the majority of truck engines. It is the most widely used among owner-operators, and much less widely used among fleets.

Chevron, and the identical Havoline, is one of the best conventional oils. I also like Pennzoil and Castrol.

3000 mile oil changes are a great idea...the oil companies need your money.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton