99 4Runner - Help reading engine trouble codes?

I bought a 99 4Runner over the weekend.

While driving home from work yesterday, my engine check light came on. I noticed this the same time the low fuel light came on. I checked everything I could visually, which looked fine, and filled it up with gas, thinking maybe that had something to do with it.

I have read the Diagnostic Trouble Codes page on the off-road.com site. I found the diagnostic box under my hood, and jumped the TE1 and E1 terminals, with the key in the ON position, but I don't get any flashes of the engine check light. Is this procedure different for later years maybe? The web page says 1987 and later, but I'm wondering if the year ends after the page was made.

Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Yost

I also found a page talking about using a volt-meter on older systems (in the case of the engine check not flashing), but I don't have the same terminals it talked about using (VF and E1).

Does Toyota do anything with the engine check light near scheduled service intervals? I'm just shy of 75K by maybe 100-miles or so.

Reply to
Yost

You likely have an ODB-II system on your vehicle. You'll need an ODB-II scan code tool to read the codes in that case. Many auto parts stores will read the codes for free or a nominal charge.

Reply to
Roger Brown

code tool to read the codes in that case. Many auto parts stores will read the codes for free or a nominal charge.

Yes, you are right. I looked into it more, and went and borrowed one from the auto parts store. Neat little unit. Anyway...

There were two codes, both the same:

P0171 - Lean condition on bank 1

Any idea what could cause that? I reset the codes, and drove around a while this afternoon running errands, and it never came back on. Plugged fuel filter? Bad fuel pump? Clogged injectors? Bad throttlebody?

The truck has ~75K on it, and I really don't know the history.

Reply to
Yost