91 previa diagnostics

Can someone tell me which diagnostic terminals to jump for my 91 Previa, and clue me in on a few of the common flash codes? Thanks!

Reply to
Wayne

"Wayne" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

The connector is under the driver's seat. Open it up and jump terminals TE and E1 with a paper clip or something, turn the ignition on then count the blinks from the Check Engine light.

For code definitions, try here:

TeGGer®

25, 26, and 27 are common ones that indicate problems with the oxygen sensor. Usually it gets very slow to respond or just dies completely. 51 usually indicates the TPS wire harness right at the TPS connector is broken. The wires usually don't look broken but the conductor(s) inside the insulation will be broken and the insulation stretched.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

OK, I get a double flash, pause, single flash. According to the website that means 21, and my symptoms are consistant with code 21, oxygen sensor. Heck, thats been bad for years!

My vehicle only has a few thousand miles left on it so I'm not going to worry about it unless the dying gets worse. usually it only happens in my driveway. Last time I priced sensors they were near $200, IIRC.

BTW, the oil light and overdrive also flashed single flashes, but I presume those are meaningless.

Thanks!

Reply to
Wayne

OK, I forgot about 21. It is frequently accompanied by 25 or 26 and 27 if the rear sensor is bad also. Kinda common.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I now see that 21 isnt (necessarily?) the sensor, but could be elsewhere in the circuit. Is there a particular place that problems are known to develop? I'm no electrician but I can look for broken wires. Does the 91 Previa have 2 sensors? I was only aware of the one near the catalytic converter.

Reply to
Wayne

My 92 previa got 2 sensors, one in front, and one back of the catalytic converter

"Wayne" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
oups

catalytic

yeah, as soon as I posted that I crawled underneath and felt real dumb. Doesnt matter anyway, frame will be rusted out within the year and its been puttin' away just fine (except foe the occasional die) for years even with a sensor problem.

Reply to
Wayne