99 tacoma colors

Look up the paint code and find out the exact shade of white:

Roger Brown

Thinking about doing some rust fixing in my 99 tacoma, the color is white , does anyone know the exact shade of white? if so thanks and how hard is it to fix some rust at the passenger side door bottom where the body is seamed together. thanks

Reply to

Paint code is under the hood on the firewall on a plate near the brake booster. Should say Color and then have a 3 letter code...I can't remember white; super red II is 3E5. Should appear something like that.

The biggest problem is matching. Are you painting the whole truck? If so, just go to a good parts store that sells paint and give them the code, and they'll mix it on the sopt. Original paint was base coat/clearcoat, should be anywhere from $125-175 for white.

They also have 'off the rack' colors that are usually an older technology. BASF (R&M) has a white that is an acrylic base that becomes whatever when they mix the binder in, so you can wind upp with Alkyd Enamel, Acrylic Enamel or Acrylic Urethane. I've been told they calk up after a while, but my bright yellow Tercel still looks good. They also have what's called Limco 4, which is a similar base but is mixed to be a basecoat/clearcoat.

These paints are a little tougher to work with than the polyesthers that are out now, but if you're looking for shine at a LOW cost they are pretty good. I painted the Terc with the urethane mixture (Limco3) and added a simple topcoat that was Limco 3 mixing clear with 10% white pearl mixed in. It is wet sandalbe, which the polyesthers aren't and after a very quick hand sanding (after curring, of course) the glow was incredible! I should top coat it, but I don't want to spend $75 on a car worth $100!

I estimate the white will be under $75, but the reducer is only sold in gallons and the hardner starts in quarts.

BTW, we did two cars in one day; my Terc and my boss's S10. He didn't READ and used almost the whole quart of hardner when mixing the paint. One of these days the paint is going to craze pretty heavily...

Reply to
HachiRoku