Brake misery

Hi,

I've got a problem with my brakes. The vehicle is a 90 2.5 n/a Diesel, front disks rear drums.

The pedal goes too far - but only when the engine is running. With the engine off, it is fine and normal.

The brakes come on at the top of the travel on the pedal - but the pedal can go almost to the floor (when the car is stopped - the wheels would lock well before this point.) The pedal feels comparitively light for the amount of slowing down the car is doing, if you know what I mean!

I have changed the master cylinder, one front caliper (it needed doing anyhow), both front brake hoses and both rigid pipes on the front calipers. I have inspected and adjusted the rear drums.

None of the above has had any effect on the problem. It is comprehensively bled and the pedal is not spongy as such.

What is it? Is it possible that the servo is providing too much boost?

Please help! Its driving me mad and bankrupt.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Coleman

On or around 5 Nov 2003 12:29:59 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@legend.co.uk (Paul Coleman) enlightened us thusly:

not really likely. it's normal for the pedal to feel softer with a servo, mind, but on mine, for example, it doesn't go that far. What's your rear drum adjustment/shoes like? if the rears are not adjusted pretty closely then you'll get excessive travel. Also get someone to press the pedal and check the rear flexi hose onto the axle, though that's an unlikely candidate, really.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have a 110n/a and have the same symptoms. The servo does pull the pedal down a long way and when you exhaust the servo the pedal feels fine. I bled mine with a power bleeder(pipe connected to a tyre), only because I was on my own. After this the pedal was showing excess travel. Using the normal two person bleeding procedure, the pedal is now back to normal. I had to bleed the brakes after renewing flexies. It sounds like you have some air in the system. Try a new method of bleeding. Exhaust the servo, put your foot hard on the brakes and start the engine. You can feel how much the servo pulls the pedal down. This will also be magnified by the air in the system. Yours Gmacz

Reply to
Gmacz

I have experienced the following which seems to produce somewhat different symptoms and includes yours. In any case, I'd say it's the servo. (1). Hole in diaphragm. (2) large amounts of brake fluid in servo unit caused by faulty master cylinder and not allowing diaphragm to function properly. This is easliy overlooked when changing master cylinders. (3) The centre plastic (bakelite) of servo unit not sealing properly and losing vacuum. These, I have experienced on other vehicles, not Land Rovers but I'd dare say theres not much difference in servos . . . . . Steve W

Reply to
QuickDraw Steve

Hmmmm - I am going to change the rear hose tonite (new one sat on my desk as I type!). I'll put it in place and re-bleed the system to see if this helps. Its the only hose I didn't change, and come to think of it I did some welding not a million miles away from it not so long ago. I protected it with a bit of sheet steel but who knows?

If it doesn't solve it then I'm flumuxed.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Coleman

On or around 6 Nov 2003 01:59:13 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@legend.co.uk (Paul Coleman) enlightened us thusly:

FWIW, my technique for adjusting the drums is to run the engine, get someone to sit there with their foot on the brake or wedge it with a piece of wood, and *then* turn the adjusters. Wind 'em in 'til they touch, then wind 'em back one or two "clicks", then let the brakes off and check that the wheels turn freely.

never liked those notchy snail adjusters, they're a sod to adjust when under load from the brake springs.

Reply to
Austin Shackles