a/c compressor out

I have a 92 land cruiser and the a/c compressor went out yesterday. The car makes some very screechy sounds now when the engine turns (b/c of the the pulley connected to the compressor). The belt that is connected to the a/c also seems to be connected to what I think is the oil pump. Is there any way to dis-engage the a/c and get rid of that sound (I can handle driving with no a/c for now), or is that not possible?

Reply to
FT

Without the magnetic clutch activated the compressor shouldn't be turning, therefore it should not be making any screeching sounds. You may only need a new clutch and not a new compressor, etc.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Does anyone have a diagram of the engine for this car? Is the compressor pulley/belt connected to any other components? I can't tell if they are idle pulleys or what. Thinking about just cutting the belt and getting rid of the screeching sound and driving a/c-less.

Reply to
FT

Sounds like bearing in A/C compressor hub is bad. YOu might go to a dealer and find out belt routing for one without A/C to see if this is possible. (sometimes on non A/C vehicles the other accessories are mounted differently)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan