Air Control Valve Leaking

The air control valve on my power steering pump is leaking like a sieve. I had it off while the pump was being cleaned and I suspect there is an o-ring or something that was supposed to go inside the port that it screws into. Sure enough, I looked at the shop manual and it shows something going in there, but I don't know what it is. It looks like a little cylinder with an o-ring around it in the picture.

Any suggestions? It may be on my shop floor somewhere if I knew what I was looking for.

Thanks,

Luther

Reply to
Luther

The dealership said that an o-ring is supposed to sit on top of the threads for this thing. I don't remember removing it, but there is not one now and it sure is leaking - so, I must have taken it off.

If anyone is interested, this thing is supposed to increase the RPMs when the engine is idling and the pump is under heavy load. Also, the dealer wants $89 for a new one. How those guys quote prices like that while keeping a straight face amazes me.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

Go to your local Harbor Freight Tools or other "Budget tool store" and get an O-ring assortment kit, they have a plastic box with a half-dozen each of a range of sizes...

Remove the bolt to eyeball the size of the slot the O-ring is supposed to sit in, pick the right diameter and size O-ring out of the kit, and slap it in. Should cost you between $5 to $10 for the whole kit, which should last you for centuries. (Unless one particular size proves popular, then you can order a dozen or two of that size in bulk from any good auto parts store.)

If you ever get a critical application (life safety, exotic chemicals or extreme temperatures), the same kits are available in Buna N or Viton, and in wider size ranges at industrial supply houses like

but you will pay a LOT more. ($35 to $350) Or there are sets with assorted diameters of bulk rubber cord and the special cement to splice them - just cut off and glue together as big or small an O-ring as you need. Here's an example:
non-critical things, the cheapies will work just fine. -->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Don't forget McMaster. I buy packs of 50-100 Viton O-rings in various sizes for $10, when the local dive shop wants $5 each. The only oddball is the DIN fitting for my regulator, which is metric, and about $2 each.

One $60 purchase will have my buddy and I both taken care of for life.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

A "Union Seat" seals the Air Control Valve to the pump housing. (Only on the VZN Series, NOT on the RN Series.) It's part of the ~$25US pump rebuild kit.

As I recall, it's a small, thick, collapsible ring that fits in the housing, Maybe yours is still there, but mangled.

btw: My Air Control Valve had one of the nipples busted off. I replaced it with one off of a common Toyota sedan (Thank you, UPullIt!).

Reply to
Ms. Manners