alternator cross over

anyone know of an alternator crossover with an 88 land cruiser, internally regulated alt. Dealer wants 289.00 autozone wants 200.00 checker wants 250.00 and I want no part of anything 80amps for that kinda pricing. Thanks MLM

Reply to
JohnQ.Public

Try

and find a used one close by.

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Brown

Nope, they could not locate one, lucky me. As far as I can tell , the regulator is the culprit. I may pull one from another denso alternator of 80 amp spec with the three pin regulator connection. So far case /fit problems have been the only hold up. I may simply place regulator in a sealed project box or cooled project box and mount it on the firewall or the fenderwell. It would be a matter of making a two foot harness and presto. Maybe ...... MLM

Reply to
JohnQ.Public

I wouldn't try remote mounting the Voltage Regulator without talking to one of the engineers at Nippondenso first. The added resistance, inductance, and time delays of adding a few feet to the leads might seem harmless, but it could screw the whole circuit up (resonant circuit or feedback loop delays). I doubt it would, but I've seen stranger stuff happen and you don't want to be the one finding out what blows up.

Find a local auto electric rebuild shop - they buy new regulators by the gross, and can hand you the right one at a glance.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

The problem with the alternator is that the regulator is right next to the exhaust manifold. I talked to my brother , he had the lc before me, he had all the same issues. The regulator gets hot then goes south. If i buy a replacement it runs from 50 to 100 bucks depending on who i get it from checker or autozone. Remote mounting could solve the heat issue.Maybe I'll just get a mean green. MLM

Reply to
JohnQ.Public