Defender XS Electricals

After 10 years I eventually passed on the V8 50th Defender via e-Bay and bought an ex-demo 2010 90 XS with 10 (ten) miles on the clock. It's not bad, only about 4 faults so far. The engine is from a Ford Trannie and is pretty good for a diesel - but it's not a V8.

Six speed manual gearbox was a bit of a shock after the auto but I'm getting used to it. The forward facing rear seats are an abomination and it's almost impossible to hit the right button on the radio first time when the vehicle is moving. Apart from that it's much like a Defender has always been. The heater works but I miss the front flaps when it's warm. Air con just isn't the same somehow.

Now I want to tart it up a bit (sorry prepare it for off-roading) - checker plate, snorkel A bar and lots and lots of lamps. So I was wondering if anyone knows how much spare capacity there is on the alternator given that I want to add about400 watts (say 35 amps) and this machine has heated seats, heated front and rear screen. I called LR customer service (We have several numbers to help you with any queries you may have about your new Land Rover) and they told me to go to a dealer and ask them to submit a technical query, which I will do but in the meantime can any one help?

P.S. Got to drive on Cannock Chase last week which is a pretty rare event. We were providing marshalling and first aid for a triathlon event. Naturally we got "lost" when returning to base

Reply to
hugh

I cannot answer your question BUT this Website has a forum dedicated to the Puma TDCI and I'm sure someone can help you with your question.

WelshGas

In message , WelshGas writes

Thanks I'll give them a try.

I went to talk to local dealer today.

The large Safari lamps which normally go on the A frame in front of the grill are not compatible with air con - I'm told they would interfere with the air flow. The bumper mounted ones likewise. Those mounted below and inside of the indicators are not compatible with the lamp guards.

So LR do not provide any front lamps suitable for off road driving.

Lamps could be mounted on a roof rack but it looks as though the loom which includes the matching (?) dash switch probably only supports 2x55w lamps and I want to mount 4 plus it would have to be extended.

The loom is about £100 + vat

Reply to
hugh

Have you considered these: X-Lite. Cheaper, spotlight/fog light versions, fixed or adjustable. Well priced.

WelshGas

Odd, as I know several people who have fitted after market winch bumpers, A-Frames etc with lights to Air con'd 90's, and no adverse effects been found (other than the extra weight and reduced aproach angle.)

If it's "incompatable with the air-con due to airflow issues" then they'd be incompatable with the engine cooling air flow, so would not support such things on any vehicle?....

As to wiring, I always DIY it, with fuses and relays as needed, so no high current's are handled by the switches, and the high current feed to the relays are fused. There again, all that's second nature to me.

Remember too, with roof mounted lights, you are not permitted to use them on the public road, also those fitted elsewhere on the front, may have to be wired so they only come on in particular circumstances, depending on where they are in relation to other lights, and the Vehicle construction and use (obligatory ligting regs) in force at the time the vehicle was built. It's a bit of a nightmare all that, after all, if driving arround in a plod magnet isnt bad enough, you don't want to give them anything to complain about.

Take care, and don't forget those fuses!.

Regards.

Dave B.

Reply to
Mr Dave Baxter

In message , Mr Dave Baxter writes

I don't now think my original statement is correct. (Well it was a dealer who suggested it) Having read the 2007 Accessory brochure even more carefully I think the problems arise simply because the electric fan module which comes with the aircon prevents any bumper mounting. The Safari 5000 lamps are described as compatible if mounted on an A-frame. I have now written (no e-mail contact permitted) to LR seeking confirmation.

Yes that's what I did with my previous 90 (50th Anniversary) The official LR loom from a dealer is over £100+vat. Bit eye watering for a few wires and a dash board switch.

Yes ISTR to be used on public road they have to mounted in front of the front axle. LR mention that they should only be used off road. Those road legal have to be linked to main beam.

The vehicle has plod deflectors on it (badges of Staffs Search & Rescue Team) We help them search for missing person amongst other things. They're not guaranteed 100% though and may not work out of county.

Thanks for your help

Reply to
hugh