bonehead 4Runner running boards question

Hi,

Forgive me for asking what is probably a silly question to most of you, but I"m looking at a used 4Runner Ltd. It has running boards, and I don't like them; I'm tall so don't need them and end up stepping over/around them. Question: can I remove them?

TIA,

-kk

Reply to
kk

only if you know how to operate socket set.

Reply to
Red Wolf

You never stated what year your 4Runner was. Yes you can, but I think they are tied into the fender flares. It might look kinda weird.

I had a friend who went Off-Roading in his '93 4Runner, and tried to go over a big rock and bent the passenger side running board. After removing it, the gas tank was noticeable.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

On my two 4runners I only had one problem with removing the running boards. The wife/kids complaining.

Reply to
chuck

Oh I hear that =)

Then I got sliders.... but then again, they still are'nt steps.. so my wife complains...

Ducky Djducky.com

Reply to
DJ Ducky

I find it funny that the wives are complaining... I'm the wife, hubby wants 'nerf bar' steps (as he calls them) on the 4runner for the kids. I don't want any sort of ankle-knocking extra stuff stuck on the outside. It was a hard sell even to get me to put aftermarket fender flairs on it, but at least I've been pleased with them. I had to deal with running boards on a Ford full sized van, hated the durn things. I ran over large rocks in our rural driveway all the time to try and tear them off, jumped up and down on the weakest points, etc. much to my parents' dismay. Only resulted in chewing them up a little.

BTW: My biggest complaints about running boards: they hold mud in inclement weather, messing up clothing if you should accidently rub across them exiting the vehicle. They hold water when you wash the vehicle, leaving something else to towel dry. They're ugly. They knock my ankles on entering and exiting the vehicle. They 'sissy-fie' the vehicle. Maybe those with wives who want them can reason with them on the mud/clothing issue ;) My kids don't need any steps, I'm strong enough to lift them into their seats and they're resourceful enough to get into the truck unassisted (even the 2 y/o, and he's shorter than average.)

Reply to
Pookerz

The type of steps your husband is talking about, I assume, are the tubular style that act as body protection when running offroad, especially over large rocks and tree stumps. The truck slides on the tubes rather than on the underside of the body (major repair costs).

However, regular running boards get caught on such obstacles. I remember them on my dad's '49 or '50 Ford pickup, I laughed when they became the rage in the 90's. Talk about a throw back!!! :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

Yeah Tom, those are the ones. Never thought of them as body protection though... He doesn't want them for the deflection aspect AFAIK, since we don't use this truck for heavy offroad. Most of the mods he has "planned" for the 4Runner are for cosmetic purposes only (it looks great as is!) Not that he's going to implement them... that's MY ride. ;)

Dee

Reply to
Pookerz