catalytic converter problem?

Any opinions on this diagnosis?

94 toyota p/u 4x4 114K miles. Head was just replaced due to corrosion of the coolant lines. Truck was running fine up until about 2 weeks before. After replacing the head, the truck idles high and skips at running speed. I took it to a local mechanic for diagnosis but he couldn't ID it. No check engine light. No trouble codes in the computer.

So I took it to a Toyota dealer who also agrees something is wrong. Their diagnosis is that the catalytic converter is bad.

Does this make any sense?

They have had the truck 2 weeks, and they seem very busy. I am suspicious for 2 reasons: 1-the truck was running fine before the head problem, so why would the catalytic converter fail now? and 2-they told me that "one of the catalytic converters is bad." I'm pretty sure I have just one catalytic converter. Maybe the guy mispoke and it's an oxygen sensor? Anyone got any advice besides "don't go to a dealer?"

Thanks, Will

Reply to
wlud

Whatever it is, please post a follow-up on what the actual problem was after it is fixed.