Catalytic Converter problem

Got a 03 Forester with 160,000km. A month ago the check engine lamp came= =

on. Brought it to the dealership and was told they found a code saying =

that the sensors telling that catalytic converter is having a problem. S= o =

they said I have two choices. One is to replace the converter for almost= 2 =

grand. The other choice is to do a Terra Clean to clean the pipe and 50%= =

of the time is OK. I chose the second choice still cost me $200.

After I had the Terra Clean. The car ran really smooth. 3 weeks passed a= nd =

seem to be OK. It came up again yesterday (a month later). I brought it to my mechanic to check it out. He found out the same code.= =

He said I shouldn't do the Terra Clean. He is surprise that the dealer =

suggested this to me. He said the chemical put into the pipe might damag= e =

the O2 sensor also. The honeycomb shape catalytic converter is so fragil= e =

that it might be damaged too. Is that true?

I also found this on the web. =

Apparently the Forester has problem with this after the renowned gasket = =

problem. Couldn't find a cheap alternative for the catalytic converter. = =

Such as an after market version (not for 2003). The dealer charge $900 f= or =

the part alone.

Awfully expensive part. Been driven so many cars before and never had to= =

replace the catalytic converter. First time got this forester and cost m= e =

a fortune after 160k.

Reply to
Rick

The must be some muffler place that sells a universal cat that can be adapted. Try a large muffler shop. Trouble is that dealers only have the original spec part which when on a new car is warranted for 80,000 miles and usually last 2X as long. Aftermarket are probably only good for 50,000 or so but, at 1/3 the cost. Shop around.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

More than likely there was never anything wrong with the converter and the front O2 sensor is just getting 'lazy'. If you posted the codes retrieved (Autozone and other places will often read those at no charge), it may help us. I think your second mechanic may also be right that some cleaners can damage 'downstream' components in the exhaust - I dunno.

Maybe ask your second mechanic about the fromt O2 sensor - maybe he can scope it to see if it's working well.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Or buy a scanner & read 'em yourself. The code gives you the detected fault, which is not necessarily the actual problem, but is certainly a clue to finding the problem. The Subaru Factory Service Manual (FSM) should have the diagnostic procedure for the more common codes. I don't actually have a Subaru FSM, but have the FSM for my other, older car. FSMs tend to be very expensive at your dealer's parts counter, but can be very cheap in downloadable form online.

With 160km, might as well just replace it, if it's easily accessible anyway.

If it turns out you do need a cat, I would look something at a better price than your dealer quoted. Even if those are CAD$, it's pretty steep.

Good luck. David

Reply to
David

Got my catalytic converter recently replaced on '02 WRX by dealer, no charge at all. Might have to do something with this:

Black WRX

Thanks all for the reply. The price for the catalytic converter is C$980 as quoted from the dealer. After market one only up to 2002. Mine is 2003. With 160km, all my warranties are over. However, generally the catalytic converter should last for the life of the car. As I've said, I'd been driven so many different cars before and never had to replace this. And don't forget that' highway mileage.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that Subaru located the first catalytic converter too close to the engine (normally should be under the seat). The first one is right behind the engine. The heat from the engine might damage the unit after some time. And that might explain why so many catalytic converter failed out there.

The dealer said I don't have to replace it but a google search told me that a blocked catalytic converter might back pressure the engine and causing damages. Scary...

I have to find my paperwork to check the code. It's something like P04XX.

Just w>

Reply to
Rick

TWE

in Canada sells high performance exhaust & high flow cats.

JC Whitney

has "universal fit" cats for US$56. Custom fit for US$210 and less. Never replaced a cat, but I probably wouldn't choose a "universal fit" or an especially cheap one.

Reply to
David

They only have "universal fit" for our cars. I thought because I entered my car before I searched it was giving me custom fit for my car, but it wasn't. Oh well. Someone else said a local mufler shop should have universal fit cats they can adapt too.

Reply to
David