Grit at top of 4runner engine??

I have 1999 4runner SR5 V6 with 60K miles.

I have always changed my oil at 3K mile intervals without fail. Yesterday I took off the oil filer cap and noticed a sandy grit substance on the surface of the baffles at the top of the engine just under the cap.

Does anyone know what this is? Its not gel or sludge, but it feels like sand if you rub it between your fingers.

Thanks

Reply to
james randall

Fine granular carbon.

I buy and use

and have good results with it. It alsoworks very well in automatic transmissions
Not, not snake oil. No, I don't sell it nor work for the outfit. I buy it, use it, and like the results. The head and camshafts of my 105,000 mile '96

850 turbo Volvo are clean except for some staining in the aluminum casting. Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

But what causes it? I've done everything by the book. The truck has 60K miles and I've had 21 oil changes (by a Toyota dealership).

Reply to
james randall

In news:zNSdnWz snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, james randall being of bellicose mind posted:

James... When you remove the oil filler cap and peer in the filler neck, there is a sheet metal baffle. This baffle is coated with a hard, rough, dark brown crust that resembles that Rhinolite coating you see sprayed in truck beds? It's not an uncommon occurance. I've seen this in many engines at the car auction and why it's there .... I can't tell you. If you look around the edge of the baffle with a flashlight, you can see the head and part of a cam shaft. So long as it's clean (no varnish/sludge) below the baffle, drive on with confidence.

Reply to
Philip®