Coming to 4WD from AWD

I've been driving a Honda CR-V for the last eight years, and I'm probably going to replace it with a Tacoma (05 or 06, depending on when the 06 models arrive in Canada). One thing I was wondering about . . . the CR-V has a flavour of all-wheel drive, but it only engages when the front wheels start to slip. This means I've only very rarely had the AWD active outside snowstorms and icy conditions.

The only other vehicle I've ever driven that was a "real" 4WD was a military variant Chevy pickup with full-time 4WD. There was no provision to _not_ use 4WD on that one.

Are there any driving tips I should be aware of that my test drive won't have shown me (dry weather, paved roads, no particular driving issues)? Any "gotcha's" about driving a real

4WD that I won't know?
Reply to
Nicholas Russon

You won't be using it on dry paved roads, and probably not unpaved roads, either, unless they're muddy. The first time you make tight turns with 4WD on a dry road, you'll hear & feel some interesting things that'll remind you to shut it off.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

"Doug Kanter" wrote in news:vR2Pe.5174$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Thanks. So not too much to "unlearn" from my Honda experiences, then? ;-)

Reply to
Nobody Special

With a part time 4WD system there is no differential between the front and rear axles. Make a turn with the 4WD engaged on dry pavement, and the driveshafts bind up until one of two things happens: Either one wheel chooses to slip intermittently and relieve the torque till you straighten out, or something in the driveline breaks.

If you have the system with manual hubs and a manual shifter, and you expect some hairy driving may happen today, you can lock the hubs on dry pavement. But don't shift the transfer case into 4WD till you get into the slop and need it. This saves you from wading out in a foot of mud to lock the hubs /after/ you get stuck.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman