AWD/4WD, ABS on paved roads

Hello,

I wonder if AWD/4WD and ABS are essential safety features on paved roads.

Thanks and happy new year.

John

Reply to
John

It depends on what else is on the paved road [e.g. ice, snow, thousands of squished caterpillars, etc.], how steep and/or twisty the paved road is, and whether you have a clue as to how to drive.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Hi, AWD and 4WD are two different things. No one will drive on 4WD on the\pavement unless he wants to wreck the vehicle. ABS? it depends on the condition of the surface(wet, icy, slush, black ice, etc., etc.) Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Nothing is essential.... except maybe food, air, and water.

Reply to
« Paul »

Essential? My opinion, no.

Amazingly, people drove 2WD cars without ABS for the better part of a century and survived. That should tell you something. They are helpful in sub-ideal weather conditions. I have lived without them by simply identifying that my wheel was locking up and letting off the brake. Can the ABS system do a better job, probably. Defensive and cautious driving are a better substitute for ABS just about any day. But GM and others seems to put them on as standard equipment just about everything anyways.

AWD and 4WD are different, but both send power to all 4 wheels. AWD systems are engaged all the time. 4WD systems are usually part time systems, you manually switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive. On normal dry pavement, you'll be in 2WD. 4WD isn't used on dry pavement. Using a 4WD system on dry pavement may even void your warranty. Are they essential? If all you ever drive on are paved roads, not really. If the snows really bad, wait for it to be plowed and use chains.

If you happen to live in the mountains and its snowing heavily and your driveway is a slushy mess up a 10% grade. Even 4WD may not help you get out.

Are they nice to have?? They can be, especially if you live off a dirt road in the mountains..

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.