Question about shifting from 2WD to 4WD

I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler that has a 2WD, 4WD(High) and a 4WD(Low). The jeep has a manual shift to go from 2WD to 4WD. I usually drive on 2WD. I was just wondering if it is safe to shift from 2wd to 4wd while driving. I live in NY and on a moderate snowy day, the roads are pretty well cleared so I drive on 2wd but when I hit a bad patch, I shift to

4wd. At such times, is better to stop the car and change?

On a related note, when the jeep is on 2WD does it act as Front Wheel Drive or Rear Wheel Drive?

Thanx, AJ.

Reply to
AJ

You can shift into and out of 4 high at any legal speed. You must be just rolling or stopped to shift into 4 low.

Jeeps are rear wheel drive vehicles sometimes.

Mike

Mike Romain

What does it say in the owner's manual?

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Thanx Mike for the info.

AJ.

Reply to
AJ

Hi A.J.

Your Jeep has a part-time four wheel drive system, and as Mike said, you can shift into 4-HI at any legal speed. Remember, it is a part-time system, which means you should never use 4-HI or 4-LO on dry, or even wet pavement. Use it on slippery surfaces only, such as snow, ice, dirt, gravel, etc.

Here is a great site explaining how four wheel drive works:

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Your Jeep is Rear Wheel Drive until you shift into 4WD.

You can shift into 4WD at any safe speed, but why would you consider shifting into 4WD at 50? If you can do 50, you don't need 4WD.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I beg to differ....

My wife and I did a trip up north last week and were in 4x4 at 55-60 mph for over 3 hours each way.

We sure needed 4x4 And it is nice to be able to keep up to the transport trucks.....

Mike

Mike Romain

Isn't it almost time for your next safari?

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Inquiring minds want to know. I quote from the O&M and Repair Manual, "4WD can be used on wet slippery pavement".

When is wet pavement slippery and how much water on the pavement is wet. That is the real question.

I have used 4WD on several Jeeps as described but only when there is a steady hard rain. But what is steady and hard mean? Some experience and common sense needs to come into the picture which is often harder to define than when to use 4WD.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Hey Jeff. I shift in and out of 4wd at speed quite frequently. It's usually patchy conditions that prompt it. Scooting along at 50 and hitting a slick patch in 2wd can cause you to swap ends pretty quickly, as you already know. Of course, slowing down before the patch helps too!

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > Your Jeep is Rear Wheel Drive until you shift into 4WD.

Reply to
twaldron

Yup. We got away last weekend to a 'cottage' up north. Fireplace, outdoor hot tub, nice big flakes of fluffy snow....

We are heading into the bush somewhere on New Years for sure. Likely running solo though because the area has been taken over by snowmobiles and ATV's now that the clubs published all the trails so the cabin we usually use is always occupied these days.

At least solo we aren't worried about camping and having unprepared folks to look after....

Mike

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Cottage with hot tub?

Watch out for those ATVers, there were a bunch of nasty ones last time. Moonshine and firearms make for interesting companions.

Thanks again for inviting me last summer, I really enjoyed getting the Grand a little dirty and getting some off-road experience with it.

Reply to
billy ray

Even in Europe? In Europe it is not considered unmanly to ask for directions. It is just foolish. Anyone who works at a gas station has lived in the same town their whole life, and assumes that everyone knows all the local landmarks. "Just take three redondas, (Or is it four?) and then a left at the Plaza de Bilbao. Then two more redondas and you are there." Never mind that a "redonda" is an evil round thing, with five streets coming in and none apparently going out. You just got into town from a trans-Atlantic flight and have no idea where the Plaza de Bilbao is, or how to tell, even when you get there. Explain this in your best university Spanish, and they will look at you as if you are insane. Then they will try to draw you a map on the back of your gas receipt, ignoring the rack of "Callejeros" conveniently placed next to the cash register. Gas receipts in Europe are even smaller than they are in the States. The map they draw will have errors, but you should have known that the second "redonda" didn't really count, because you were supposed to have entered and left on the same street. If you get lucky, the second gas station will have a Moroccan working there, who recently arrived in the country and still speaks at a speed, that is not painful to the human ear. He will calmly hand you a "Callejero", put an "X" at your current location and an "O" at your destination. He won't even ask, why you are ten kilometers away, headed directly away from where you want to go.

I was looking for the Civic Center Iparralde last week. I had two maps, one of which had the location of the civic center but no street names. The other had the streets, none of which went east-west, north-south, or even in the same direction as any other street. I spent about five minutes coordinating the information on the two maps, and concluded that I was standing right in front of it. Damn!

Earle

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net...

Reply to
Earle Horton

Bottom of a swimming pool comes to mind.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo