Comments on sprayed bedliners?

Anyone had this done? Like it? Hate it? Have doubts about the results? I'm interested in brand names, too, if possible.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

A buddy of mine has owned 2 Chevy's and swears by these bedliners. Personally I like the way they look and the protection tehy offer. I would not however replace my factory Toyota bedliner with a spray in unless something happened to my original.

Reply to
Jesse

Don't screw around and go cheap.

Get a Line-X spray in:

I've had mine for almost 4 years and it has held up great (firewood, shovels, mulch, building supplies, mowers...).

Look and call around if you're not sure. Talk with managers at each place. Compare with a Rhino-liner spray in. I decided because of the appearance and the professionalism of the local Line-X guy to go with them.

You'll probably be happy with either, and they'll do the job.

Stew

Reply to
S.Lewis

I agree with Stew. I have a Line-X on a 2002 Tundra. Works great and I can see no wear. The only regret is that I bought black instead of matching the color of my truck.

Reply to
offen rong

I got Line-x too. I got black, since they said that if they had to repair it, they could match the color better.

I understand that there is a difference between line x and rhino, in that line-x is harder, but that both work as well.

Recommend it highly.

jerry jerry

Reply to
Into the living sea of waking

Stew is right on the money I have a LineX spray in for my (04 Tundra) and it was well worth the money. Very durable, stuff slides around less, and it looks good. Very durable too I have hualed soil, trash, metal debris etc... and the coating looks like new...

Be advised that the plastic drop in liners will abrade your paint, trap water between it and the bed and eventually corrode your truck bed. Spray in is a better solution IMO.

Reply to
notmyrealname

Thanks for all your votes. What did you guys pay for the spray on liners? I'll be interested in seeing if the dealers here are in the same ballpark.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

THey are not bad for normal use but it you plan to really use you bed hard and maybe drop objects in it they are not a good choice. A regular good quality dropin bed liner with a pad under it will protected the bed against a lot of impact damage. A spray on lining is only as strong as the base metal on impact and it is quite possible to bend the bed floor with dropped heavy objects. What you plan to do with your truck is a big factor in the type of bed liner you choose.

Reply to
SnoMan

Be advised that when you use the proper pad under them there is no abradesion and I recently looked under mine after 5 years of use, from fire wood to mulch to gravel and over 4000 lbs of salt in bags during winter at times with a occaisonal snow thrower and various tools and the bed under it looks like new with no dents or damage and the liner look pretty good too. I have a full tub liner than covers rails too. I am not kid to my bed when I load it either. A spray on liner might have still be there today but I know the metal beneather the spray on liner would have been dented and bent by now. A friend of mine just bought a new Dmax truck for work, he replaces windows and doors and through the old window and door frames (sometimes made of steel) and all of the other parts of them, he throws into the bed without being gentle either. Guess what kind on bedliner he put in the new truck? It was not a spray on because he has seen on other trucks in this use that the beds get damaged without a HD drop in liner installed.

Reply to
SnoMan

| > I got Line-x too. I got black, since they said that if they | > had to | > repair it, they could match the color better. | >

| > I understand that there is a difference between line x and | > rhino, in | > that line-x is harder, but that both work as well. | >

| > Recommend it highly. | >

| > jerry | > jerry | | THey are not bad for normal use but it you plan to really use you bed | hard and maybe drop objects in it they are not a good choice. A | regular good quality dropin bed liner with a pad under it will | protected the bed against a lot of impact damage. A spray on lining is | only as strong as the base metal on impact and it is quite possible to | bend the bed floor with dropped heavy objects. What you plan to do | with your truck is a big factor in the type of bed liner you choose.

< SNIP>

How about a spray on liner with a good rubber mat over it to absorb the impact? No rust like you get with a drop in that rubs the paint off of the bed. No moisture trapped under the pad against the bed paint either. Just what we are using on our '99 Tacoma.

Reply to
Jarhead

Doug,

It's been a while back, but seems like mine was between $300 and $350. The franchise owner/manager did the job himself, though he had a couple of his guys do the taping.

I recall asking the guy, "so tell me why I should get your liner rather than going two blocks down for a Rhino?". I stopped the guy after 5 to 10 mins of explanation, which included discussing a display tailgate w/Rhino on it.

I had mine done UNDER the rails except for the tailgate, where I had him coat over the top edge and a bit beyond on the tailgate exterior, figuring that I would accidentally bump and bang that edge tossing, shovelling, whatnot.

If I had to do it now, I'd have gone ahead and gone over all the bed rails to match.

I had my liner done in black also, btw. Each to his own, I'm just not fond of the color-matched versions....

Stew

Reply to
S.Lewis

I'm actually asking all this for a friend. She's going to be adding a cap to the truck. Is the spray coating sort of grainy when it dries? If yes, do you think it would interfere with getting a watertight seal between the rail and the cap?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Yes, it has a very fine, grainy (factory-looking) texture to it. It's probably a great idea to coat the rails to protect it from the cap (trapped dirt, moisture, and grit + vibration) over long periods of time.

Most caps I've seen have some sort of rubberized foam seal around the contact areas of the rail beds, and I don't think the spray-on would harm that at all (ask the spray-on dealer) and would actually protect the rails.

I'd definitely coat the rails if I were planning on a cap.

Good luck.

Stew

Reply to
S.Lewis

Over the rails is better, especially for a canopy. It will definitely protect the rails from the abrasiveness of the canopy. And most canopies have weatherstripping to protect the truck. If not, you can surely add it. I bought my Tundra in 2003 and had a Line X spray (under the rails) for about 375.00. If I had to do it again, I would have spent an extra 50 for over the rails.

Reply to
<wilkinson21again

I've heard the same thing about over the rails. Why did you go with Line X over the others like Rhino. I'm just starting to check these out and am looking at what criteria to judge the spray in liners by. Thanks

Reply to
Mr H. Sing

Line-X is more uniform, is a bit harder, and has (I think) a nicer appearance. It's a nozzled controlled hot spray, and the thickness is uniform throughout the surfaces of the bed.

Rhino is a bit more rubbery; is applied in a non-controlled cold spray, and pools a bit in the recesses of the bed, leaving it thicker in some areas than others. Plus, it has a 'gloopy' appearance to me versus the Line-X.

Both work, I understand. I just prefer Line-X.

Stew

(PS- sorry for buttin' in....)

Reply to
S.Lewis

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
Not true, I remodel houses and have a spray on liner (line-X) and beat the hell out of it on a regular basis. We just tore the roof off a garage and dropped the old sheating into the back of the truck as we tore it off the garage, no dents, no damage. Also just hauled an old water heater, washer (full of water) and dryer to the scrap yard and we have yet to even scratch it.

Reply to
Dking2075

Great info, I'll keep that in mind as I make a call. Those two seem to be the big players in the market. I just found this local guy

does a hot spray process.

Reply to
Mr H. Sing

Sounds like my friend's kayak won't be much of a problem. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter