diagnose this engine problem

Everything was fine until Saturday: Driving down the highway at about 65 MPH when I start feeling jerks that make it feel like my truck is pulling a trailer.

When I need to go up hill, I have to give it extra gas, and the "trailer jerk" goes away.

When I come to a 4-way intersection, I have to slow down and go into 3rd to make the turn. While the clutch is pressed in, the engine dies, but continues on as soon as I let out of the clutch (This is when I know something bad is going on).

Come to a 4-way stop, and the truck dies when the clutch is pressed in.

Tried starting the truck again. The engine spins over fine. Plenty of juice on the battery, and the tank is sitting at about 3/4 full. No backfires and no "almost starts" unless I wind on the starter long enough to build up some serious RPMs, but the engine never really catches.

Called a buddy on the phone, and he came out to help. We removed the air cleaner, and he cupped his hands over the carburetor to give it extra choke while I cranked on it. After a few tries, the engine cranked - rough at first, then as smooth as silk for about 15 seconds, then it died. We got it cranked again, and this time I had to stay on the throttle just to keep it running (it would not idle). Black smoke was coming out the exhaust pipe and it smelled strong of gasoline. My buddy said it was running like it was flooded. There were no backfires, and no misses in the firing so all of the plugs are firing like they should.

We limped the truck over to an automotive shop where it sits now. The mechanic called and said the truck cranked up fine for him, and that he's driven it 10 miles with no problems.

What could this be?

1986 Toyota pickup with the 22R engine and about 100k miles.

My first thought was a bent rocker arm or a slipped timing chain, but if it started back up, that could not have been it.

It has gas. The battery is charged.

Anyone?

Reply to
jp2express

Well it sounds like the engine wouldn't idle after the incident on the freeway. The fact that it is running rich indicates a carburetor or fuel delivery problem. I'd start with inspecting the carb.

Reply to
Chas

Sure sounds like it started running very rich. Possibly the needle valve is sticking. That might explain why it suddenly runs fine after sitting for a long time. If there's a sight glass in the carb you might try watching it when it is running fine and see what happens when it acts up. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

Reply to
jp2express

Do you think some carb cleaner would help? Maybe a few gas tanks of gas souped up with gunk out?

What's the best additive for dissolv> Sure sounds like it started running very rich. Possibly the needle

Reply to
jp2express

BG44K is certainly one of the best fuel system cleaners around. It is expensive though. If the needle valve is the problem, it could be wear on the valve and not deposits. Good luck. Al.

Reply to
al

======== ========

go git yer damd truck and drive it..........

you said the mechanic, and insuated YOU, have now determined the truck is running fine.

scroll up...yer words..not mine.

anywhoooooo

who's to say the the trailer wiring wasn't causing the entire ordeal?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

go on........tell me you didn't have a harness hooked up.. tell me...... go ahead...... tell me

mmmmmmm.........

you did tell yer mechanic........

DIDN'T YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???

anywhooooo, if the fk'r acts up again, carry yer arse back to the Tech, jump out the truck scream'n and wave'n yer arms.......yell'n reeeelly loud.......

"I'm NOT crazy...I'm NOT crazy"

till then.....drive yer fricken truck, use the money yer want'n to spend on a new bible or a hooker......whatever......and have yerself a nice day.

~~ oo L O

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his mushroom tea..fires up a dooby........and wonders why anyone would put money into a good runn'n vehicle to fix symptoms that are not there...... .........oh well~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Have you ever had a 20 year old truck that was running just fine suddenly decide to up and die on you when you are 20 miles from the nearest intersection?

Yeah, it runs fine now, but it left me stranded when it died. I'd like to get that fixed, so that it doesn't happen again.

For the record, I am driving it now. But I do not want to ignore what happened. I want to find out what went wrong and correct it so that it doesn't happen again.

I do night weld> ======

Reply to
jp2express