Differential pinon seal leak

Has anyone sucesfully replaced the pinon seal? Can you share your DIY experience? I have a leak from the pinon seal in my '95 pickup, a drop a day or so. The breather cap is rotating free. I don't know what the cause of the leak is. I consulted my FSM. Looks like I need lots of special tools. I wonder if power tools can do this replacement.

Regards, Matt

Reply to
mliao6990

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com schrieb:

Matt, DIY no problem BUT the leaking seal is only secondary. Take care to check out the root cause since I suggest you have worn-out bearings which to replace takes much more effort.

Re-adjusting the pinion will NOT solve the problem!

Axel

Reply to
Axel Hammer

I went through all that on my 87. First I had a hard time locating an inch/lb wrench. Then someone in here mentioned turning the nut on the differential 1/8 past the original position. That was 6000 miles ago and I've had no leaks or problems since. I believe my leak could have been caused from the previous owner driving on a bad U-joint for who knows how many miles. This was on the rear differential. If you order a new nut for the thing, take the old one with you to make sure the dealer gives you the correct one. They ran my VIN # and all and when I tried to put it on, it was the wrong nut. I re-used the old one. Be sure to do the U-joints at the same time.

A couple years before that (3 years ago), I took my 93 4runner into the dealer for the front differential pinion seal and I beleive it was $110.

Reply to
Chuck

Matt,most of the time the leak is caused from a wear spot on your draveshaft flange,for about 75.00 you can buy seal and new flange and this will stop your oil leak. yota2005

Reply to
yota2005

Thanks for all the reply. The driveshaft was sheared off one time. I think that mightbre the cause to the leak. Do I need to replace the flange?

Matt

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Matt