Differential Pinion Seal

89 Ford F150 2 WD, 4 spd stick "Ford 3740# 3.08" Rear Axle code 18

Hi- Checked out a clicking from the rear when accelerating or turning and found the pinion seal had failed on the rear end. Also, there was no oil in it. Shaking the drive shaft, noticed slight amount of play side to side where it enters the differential, maybe .05"- would not think there would be any unless bearing shot? I would not mind trying to replace seal but the bearing might be too much for me- I have read about setting the preload and could do that but bearing would require a lot of special tools. I refilled it with oil but no change, might be slow leak but will watch it closely. How long will it last? Any thoughts? Sounds expensive, they might want to do u-joints too? New to me. Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've had quite a few third members rebuilt due to "spontanous tooth ejection" (my abuse) or just to change ring/pinion ratios. In all cases, the cost was about $500 for new ring & pinion, all new bearings, crush sleeves, shims seals and gaskets.

Not one of them was done at a dealership. Most were the local 4 Wheel Parts store, some were my mechanic (the only guy I'll ever let work on my cars except me) None of them have failed thus far. (3+ years on the newest gear set)

Reply to
invalid unparseable

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

A better solution MIGHT be to shop for a complete axle at a salvage yard.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Did that for the 1st third member I blew up in the 4Runner. Still ran me $400 and it only lasted about 4 months before it shed a few teeth. Swapping an axle is still a pretty involved project (not to mention the things are friggin' HEAVY) and is more involved than popping out the third member and hauling it to a shop for a rebuild.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

It's an 89 F-150, you can't pop out the third member.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

OK, I'm not familiar with the axle on the truck, but are you telling if you grenade the thing you've got to swap out the entire axle?

Sounds kinda odd to me..

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Thanks for all the tips- a phone call to a repair shop and they think it is the pinion bearing and seal, and new ring and pinion gear. This is a transmission repair shop. Noise is getting worse. Dave

Reply to
Dave

No, that's not what he means. He simply means you take the whole truck to the repair shop, not just something that will fit in a suitcase. On the old

9" ford, there was a piece that would come out, about the size of your head, that completely controlled the lash on the gearset. If you regeared it, you could set the lash in an air-conditioned office, on top of your desk. But that's a very unusual type of construction. Most rear ends aren't made that way. The 1989 F-150 is an example of most rear ends.
Reply to
Joe

Sounds a lot like the Toyota truck rear axles.. Drop the driveshaft, pull the axle shafts out a couple inches, unbolt the third member and pull it out..

Ah, ok.. Similar to the 10 and 12 bolt GM axles.. Gotta set the lash/preload with the diff IN the axle. Did one of those a LONG time ago. Never again. I prefer the "write the check" method to do those now. hehehe

Reply to
invalid unparseable