Drain the radiator???

I'm pulling out the tranny on my '85 Extra Cab w/5speed manual to replace the clutch. At about step 3 in my manual, it says that I should drain the coolant from the engine. My question is "Why?" As far as I can tell, I'm not gonna be going into anywhere where I should run into coolant, am I? This is my first time doing a clutch job on a Toyota pickup so I could be wrong but I can't see why I should drain the engine coolant. Anyone got any ideas to straighten me out??? TIA Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

I replaced my 86 truck`s trans and did not drain anything but then again i didn`t have the manual hard part was the top bolts so i just lowered the back of the trans about a foot to get to the top bolts

Reply to
PCK

PCK wrote: I replaced my 86 truck`s trans and did not drain anything but then again i didn`t have the manual hard part was the top bolts so i just lowered the back of the trans about a foot to get to the top bolts.

Ditto with my '87 4x4 clutch. Then again, draining the coolant is not too big a deal... Tom

Reply to
tom

Reply to
Marauder

"Jerry27" wrote: > I'm pulling out the tranny on my '85 Extra Cab w/5speed manual > to replace > the clutch. > At about step 3 in my manual, it says that I should drain the > coolant from > the engine. > My question is "Why?" As far as I can tell, I'm not gonna be > going into > anywhere where I should run into coolant, am I? > This is my first time doing a clutch job on a Toyota pickup so > I could be > wrong but I can't see why I should drain the engine coolant. > Anyone got any ideas to straighten me out??? > TIA > Jerry

Never pulled a tranny in that model to say for sure but maybe some of the bolts you need to remove thread into water jacket. Better to be safe than sorry here.

Reply to
SnoMan