Evaluating a Method for Selling a Vehicle

I have a 1998 van that I'd like to sell. The body and interior are in very good shape, but the transmission is weak. It may need to be replaced. $3000 for a replacement. I have no idea when it might fail. Occasionally it clanks a bit. The van is really of little use to us now. We barely get 750 miles on it per year. Blue book is about $4400. Tires might have 10-15K miles on them. Here's what I'm considering.

I'll put it up for sale at $1900 with the caveat that the xmission is weak. If it fails in the first year of use, I'll refund $500. Is that attractive, fair, or just too messy? That is, I could just try to sell it for $1400. Of course, the advantage to me is that the xmission may go for 20K more miles. The van has 165K miles. My mechanic told me the noise is from the xmission, but he has no idea how long it might last.

Reply to
W. eWatson

"W. eWatson" found these unused words:

Take the low price, have the buyer acknowledge in WRITING you've told him of the Xmnsn and any other 'problems' and walk away!

The later possible hassle isn't worth the $500 !!!

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

"book" price? the real value is what you can get for it. if the boddy and frame were perfect, i'd offer the price of a used transmission with a warranty.

Reply to
someone

You're right. Forget the possible hassle.

Reply to
W. eWatson

Yes, forget the book price. I'll start with an appropriate start price, and work down if necessary. They can deal with the xmsn problem that I would make known. It's time to get this vehicle out of my hands.

Reply to
W. eWatson