Evaluating beetle -61 project again

Hello!

------

I was looking and taking pictures of the VW Beetle -61 again from it's "storage" location. The idea has been to start restoring it as soon as we find a decent garage or other place to do that. I tried to take photos of the most propable problem (read rust) locations. Tapped the metal to listen for complete rottening (the exhaust is only item that is really gone).

I am not too experienced with evaluating the degree of rot and what will be difficult to fix. Therefore, please look at the pictures and tell me if you see anything I should be worried about. Or if you have other comments on restoring this one.

Olli Lammi

.................You need new heater channels and new metal welded in the lower quarter panels behind the doors (right side is all that I see). You may have to section new metal at the lower parts of the door posts where they meet the heater channels. The lower edges of the doors have rot, maybe you could find correct replacements for them. Hope you have a welder and a lot of time to use it.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

How do I see that I need new heater channels? That was one thing I was trying to look for.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

...............Just from looking at the areas where the door posts are attached to the channels, It looks like there is a lot of rust in those parts. If you've pulled back the carpeting and determined that they're largely OK and if you've poked at them with a screw driver from underneath, you may know that they're solid or at least repairable. When looking at a 'for sale' bug, if I see 'through the metal' rot where the door posts sit on the channels, I usually decide to keep looking until I can find something that's in better condition. Just my opinion.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

It's rare to find a VW with original heaterchannels in Europe! Most have been replaced by now.

Although in the photos they don't too *too* bad, you might get away with some localised repairs.

Reply to
Howard Rose