Proper Tire Rotation Method

I have a '96 EB 4x4. According to the owner's guide, the proper way to rotate four tires is to move the rear tires to the front, with the tires remaining on the same side of the vehicle. The front tires are to switch sides when moving to the rear of the truck.

My company maintains a large fleet of vehicles, with many Explorers among them. One of the mechanics told me that tires should never be rotated as described above, because moving them to the opposite side of the vehicle changes the direction of rotation. He told me that this could lead to catastrophic tire failure. However, I have always rotated my tires by the above method, and have never had a problem. Besides, I am a firm believer in following manufacturer's recommendations.

It's time to rotate my tires again. Should I go with the way I've always done it, or is my mechanic friend correct?

Thanks!

Reply to
Kevin DeAngelis

I believe that is a very old thought process. Unless you have "directional" tires I don't think modern tires are effected in the least... I vote for following the manufactures recommendation. I do, and have never had a catastrophic tire failure.

Reply to
351CJ

Whie swapping sides in a tire rotation will NOT lead to catastrophic tire failure, it will lead to the need to rebalance the tires within 2000 miles. While radial tires are, in most respects, superior to bias ply tires, bias plies remain more stable than radials can ever dream of being. Not having read the owners guide for every vehicle that spends time on my hoist, I will continue to avoid "cross-rotation" when I canso that my customers can enjoy their vehicles without repeat trips for repairs.

The "old" thought process (with bias ply tires) was a nearly complicated criss-cross affair. Bias ply and radial ply tires are night and day apart...... 'Nuff sed.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Radials should stay on the same side regardless of whether they are directional or not for wear and balance reasons. They will not magically exlode if you do not follow this rule.

Tire rotation is voodoo maintenance. There is no actual economy in it. It does not extend the life of the tires. It will only allow all of the tires to wear out at the same rate so that replacement can be done in full sets. If that is important to you for some reason and/or you can get it done free (or do it yourself) then knock yourself out. If you are paying for it then you are just wasting your money.

The alternative is to leave the wheels where they are and when one axle becomes worn replace the worn tires only. If they are wearing unevenly (you will see this more quickly if you do *not* rotate them) then get the suspension or steering problem causing the wear fixed because that

*will* extend the life of your tires.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W

Your mechanic friend is living in the past. Today's radials (unless they are designed as directional - and few are) can be rotated any way you like. The first radials would take a 'set' when first driven, and needed to roatae in that direction from then on, or the plies would tend to seperate. Not any more. As for Jim's balance remarks, I've never seen anything that would confirm that. One thing that's often overlooked is that, when rotating your tires, if there's uneven wear on them, it's time to get that taken care of; rotsating the tires will not fix that problem. I'm amazed at the number of people who will look at their tires, see uneven wear, and comment, "Well, I guess it's time to get the tires rotated." Like that's gonna help!

Reply to
Big Bill

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. I ended up following the owner's manual, as is my custom.

Reply to
Kevin DeAngelis