Exhaust stud fell out on 22R

yep, the rear lower exhaust stud on the exhaust manifold is gone. Been hearing a loud exhaust leak for the last 3 days, couldn't locate it exactly until I took some action today.

I knew it was either where the exhaust header mated up with the exhaust pipe or somewhere on the manifold.

Took off the air cleaner and air intake, removed the heat sheild, whipped out a 14mm socket and proceded to tighten if possible all the exhaust manifold nuts and the header nuts, nothing budged. Hmmmm...

Put everything together except for the heat shield and fired it up. Sure enough the exhaust leak was louder and I could feel exhaust being expelled by a hole that looked like it needed a stud in there.

I'll get a new stud come Tuesday when the local Toyo dealer is open again and hope that fixes it and no damage to the exhaust manifold gasket occurred, otherwise I'll be replacing that gasket too.

Reply to
TacomaDude

Hopefully it just vibrated out vice broke off in the head (hate it when that happens).

Reply to
Wolfgang

I had my exhaust manifold warp (common) and strip the stud out of the block. The exact same one as yours. I hope that didn't happen to you. I fought that problem for like 2 years, till I sold the truck.

I suggest you pull the whole manifold off and check it on a flat surface. If you just try to tighten the bolts enough to mate a warped manifold, trust me, it won't work.

Reply to
sponger

Reply to
TacomaDude

Good advice, if just replacing the stud wont work and the gasket's shot, I'll have the manifold resurfaced before putting on a new gasket.

Reply to
TacomaDude

Hate to piss in the cornflakes, but you might have a worse problem than the stud just falling out.

My brother bought an '84 pickup into which someone put a 20R (and threw away the truck oilpan with the motor, kept the celica oilpan on the 20R). One day, I decided to put a header on the engine so I set about removing the nuts. Well.. it was strange because when I got to the one you're talking about, it was a diferent size altogether. As if that was not bad enough, it was an SAE fastener in the hole.

So, at some point, some bonehead drilled out the hole and re-tapped it with a larger SAE tap and put an SAE screw in there. They also had to drill out the hole on the manifold to match.

My advice -- pick up a heli-coil kit for the size of the exhaust stud and heli-coil the hole.. chances are the threads are hosed if the thing just fell out.

Reply to
Celica Dude

My cornflakes remains unpissed on. Put a new stud and nut in the ol' stud hole, the threads were A OK, not stripped, torqued the sucker down and now the '85 is humming again! No exhaust leaks, no torn exhaust manifold gasket. On the way to work though I did hear a "DING!". What's that I thought. One of the stripped nuts to the heat sheild gave up the ghost. Nothing major, should be easy to tap and a slightly larger bolt put in there, I tapped the hole and used a die on the nut to clean up the threads but that thread, not the missing stud thread, was already boogered up beyond simple redemption.

Reply to
TacomaDude

Lucky Dog! :oD

Reply to