manifold stud problem on 2002 Triton 5.4

passenger side exhaust manifold leaks, center stud has just rusted away to below the hole through the manifold. anyone have a fix w/o removing manifold? thanks bob

Reply to
Bob Statkus

Unfortunately this is a common problem. You'll need to remove the exhaust manifold. When you do, replace all the studs on that bank with stainless steel studs per Ford TSB 05-5-4:

Exhaust System - Exhaust Manifold Studs Broken

TSB 05-5-4

03/21/05

USE OF STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST STUDS IN SERVICE FOR 5.4L 2V ENGINE

FORD:

1997-2004 Expedition, F-150 1999-2004 F-Super Duty 1999-2005 E-Series

LINCOLN:

1998-1999 Navigator

ISSUE Some vehicles equipped with the 5.4L 2-valve (non supercharged) engine, may exhibit broken exhaust manifold studs.

ACTION On the affected bank only, replace the exhaust manifold, manifold gasket(s), and install all new stainless steel exhaust manifold studs and nuts. Torque the studs in the cylinder head to 71-115 lb-in (8-13 N.m). Torque nuts on studs to 204-239 lb-in (23-27 N.m). Refer to Workshop Manual Section 313-01A for exhaust manifold removal and installation.

Part Number Part Name W703902-S403 Stainless Steel Stud W701706-S2 Stainless Steel Nut

Reply to
C. E. White

Also since this is a aluminum head, the studs will come out a bit easier if engine is pretty warm (wear some good leatherwork gloves)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

We interupt this thread for a Public Service Announcement.

----------------------------------- :::::::::Introducing SnoMans Follies::::::::: SBJ: 4T65E

(Confuses 4T65e with a 4L65e and won't admit it.) SBJ: Dumb brake question
(Discribes wrong brakes and won't admit it.) SBJ: Front wheel bearings-2000 Blazer??
(Claims torque specs are wrong when they are not.) SBJ: Snoball Defense System v1.01
(Snoball breaks these out when he knows he's wrong but won't admit it.)-----------------------------------

Reply to
Heatwave

Yes for comment by a childish Troll that is very insecure and gets his kicks by trying to cause trouble rather than honestly trying to help. So sad....

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Sorry for you delusional state but I am very secure.

----------------------------------- :::::::::Introducing SnoMans Follies::::::::: SBJ: 4T65E

(Confuses 4T65e with a 4L65e and won't admit it.) SBJ: Dumb brake question
(Discribes wrong brakes and won't admit it.) SBJ: Front wheel bearings-2000 Blazer??
(Claims torque specs are wrong when they are not.) SBJ: Snoball Defense System v1.01
(Snoball breaks these out when he knows he's wrong but won't admit it.)-----------------------------------

Reply to
Heatwave

Thanks C.E.,

Of course I was hoping someone had a fix that could be done W/O R&R of the manifold but....

BTW, Heatwave, I don't think observing the obvious and describing it concisely will make him adjust his MO.

Hey Snoman, I'm in full troll garb here when I say "go suck a icicle."

Reply to
Bob Statkus