Fuel Capacity / Mileage

I am wondering if anyone has ever replaced the fuel tank on their 4 runner for a larger tank? I have a 96 4runner, with an 18 gal tank, I get about 280 miles to the tank, or about 16 mpg at 80 mph I would love to go at least 350 - 400 miles on a tank, ( as I can with the midsize company cruiser I also have to drive) and as I don't think I can up the mileage much I was wondering if anyone has ever installed a larger fuel tank. taking a quick look at the truck underbody it doesn't seem like there is much room for a larger tank, but, I have been amazed at what some of you guys have done in the past.

thanks for any suggestions (excluding sticking a jerry can in the back with a straw into the tank) I did see that done once when I worked at a full serve gas station, the can was bungee corded right under the hood to the fender wall of an old ford PU. Just a wee bit scary if you ask me.

Dave

Reply to
Jimmy Smits Loves Chocolate Milk