Fuel filter life on 22RE

I am sometimes surprised by mechanics who do not want to sell me work. This is one such case.

I have a 93PU 2WD with the 22RE, 190000 miles. The fuel filter is original. For various reasons, nobody I have approached is eager to change it. I offered the job to the guy who changed my clutch, 'cause it was quite accessable at the time -- he didn't want to mess with the banjo fittings "'cause they are hard to seal." I just went to the dealer today to buy oil filters and asked the service writer what she thought about driving or changing a filter with so many miles (you would think she'd jump at the business). She said don't touch it unless it clogs up -- that I'd be asking for trouble ("stripped threads, cracked hoses").

I know this is a lifetime filter, but isn't 190000 miles a lifetime for a filter? What kind of experiences do others have, both with life and replacement problems? (I would do it myself -- I am competent). I don't have any performance problems that I can notice. Is failure (by clogging) gradual and noticeable, or will I be stranded without warning?

Reply to
James Andrus

nope, should have been changed looooooooong ago! i changed mine at about

100K and it made a significant change in the pick-up (pun intended).
Reply to
Sam Marsh

Changing it is a pain - Changed at least 5 with never a leak or broken hose. Ya need metric flare wrenches and patience. Easier to do on 4WD especially if lifted or if trans or starter is out.

Reply to
Wolfgang

What I do is to carry a spare filter in my parts box in the truck. Then if I find that the engine needs to be torn down, I replace it (have done so twice since I've owned my truck) and if the filter does suddenly get clogged (from bad/dirty gas) then I have it there to replace if needed.

Reply to
Roger Brown