Fuel Level Sender '89 4x4

Lately my fuel gauge has been acting up. When I top off the tank, it will read 'full', but after driving about 50 miles, it'll drop completely down to empty. Do I need an entire new fuel level device, or is there any serviceable part I can replace? I don't see anything at all in my manual about the level sending mechanism. It would be nice if some contacts just needed cleaning, but it would also suck to get it all torn down only to find out I need to order something. :)

TIA

Reply to
Ben Smith

Sounds like the wirewound resistor in the sender is open. Does it ever come back on and work again, like when it gets down to 1/2 or 1/4 tank it suddenly pops up and starts working?

You have to get the sender out and replace it. If the electric fuel pump is on the same mounting plate you can switch it over to the new sender assembly. Buy a new fuel filter sock, and maybe a new fuel level float (if it doesn't come with a new one). The dealer parts man will know all this and get you fixed up.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman