fuel pump and filter for 86 Toyota 4-Runner

My 86 Toyota wouldn't start the other day, took it to the shop and they said I need to replace the fuel pump and filter, as there is no pressure in the tank. I just replaced the tank and the gas lines last year due to a leak and strong smell. I feel that the shop may be taking advantage of me, charging me 380 for parts (pump and filter) and

400 for labor, 50 for the tow. They are also going to change my oil. Does anyone know where the fuel pump is located? I know where the fuel filter is located. I looked up the part on the internet and saw it for 113.00. My truck has a 92 engine, but an 86 body. Would that effect this problem? Does anyone know if the 92 engine is a 22RE? The shop is charging me 850 dollars total for this, and I make 10 bucks an hour, so I want to do some research to see if they are taking me for a ride or not. The truck has 200,000 miles on it and is a stick shift. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, A.
Reply to
akootchook

It's inside the tank and it comes out the top with the fuel gauge sender. That's why the labor is so much, they have to drain and drop the tank, pull the sender/pump plate, change the pump, then put it all back together.

If it's one with a hatch inside the car they can access it through they still have to drain the tank, then take half the interior apart to get to the access plate and get it open, and if they spill any gas the interior of the car can smell like a refinery for months - sometimes it's easier and safer to just drop the tank.

Make sure they're using a Toyota pump, or at worst one directly from the OEM supplier. (Nippondenso? Not sure.) You don't want to do this more than once every 20 years or so.

Oh, while they have it all apart like that you might want to put in a fresh fuel gauge sender and float at the same time. With the luck you are having, you'll get it on the road and in a month or two the gas gauge goes dead.

That sounds way high. It's a metal body filter because the fuel pump can hit 60 PSI or better, but that sounds ridiculous.

If you take good care of it and make sure the rust worms don't eat the body, the car is good for at least 500,000 miles. Fix the little things as they come up and keep driving - even with the occasional $800 - $1,000 repair it is still cheaper than 6 years of new car payments.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

In So. Cal. a premium aftermarket pump goes for about $150.00 and about $20 for the filter. $400.00 is probably for a Toyota pump and filter from the dealer plus the shop's mark-up. Personally, I rarely use factory parts, as long as I have a local supplier who backs their stuff. But I do my own wrenching. If you're not experienced, I'd go with the factory parts. Less likely to have problems with them in the future. Maybe call around to a couple of other local shops and get more price quotes. Usually smaller, reputable shops will do the work cheaper if business is slow just to keep their guys working. Can't hurt to get more quotes before you give the ok to do the work. If you find a cheaper quote, let the current shop know and see if they'll match the price.

Reply to
MrFixit469