brake rotors

I have some experience turning the wrench, enough to know not to tear it apart if I need special tools or more than two hands, and I have had the rig since it was new in 87, it still has the original rotors after

275K miles and I want to do replace them myself if possible.

Any tips or advice? 87 4runner, 4x4, manual shift, 22re

Reply to
ww

Yes, it's possible. I'd buy new rotors first so I had them on hand. Then, I'd take a look at where the holes are, then look on the truck for the same holes and empty them. The old rotor should come off with reasonable ease, assuming you don't have them held on with massive layers of rust.

On my Jeep CJ5, I have to pull the entire hub assembly to get the rotors off, then I have to remove the wheel bolts and use a BFH (large hammer) to separate the hub from the rotor. On my BMW and Mazda MPV, the rotors come off the hubs while the hubs remain attached to the spindles. The BMW and the Mazda are easier than the Jeep ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If there is a lot of disassembly required, buy a Helms manual - you will need to know this for the various torque settings required - if you have to disassemble the wheel hub/bearing - must be done very carefully or you will kill the wheel bearing. Some rotors are a cinch to change - some like an 80 accord I had required taking the hub apart. The 98 and forward accords are much simpler.

Once replaced the hubs on a chrysler product - just pulled off the wheels and the rotor came off - oh how simple.

Reply to
spacetrax

Your job requires full dis-assembly of the hub to get it off... it's really not that bad... just a pain in the ass...some SST's are required... There is an oversized socket you will need to get the huge nuts off that are on the inside of the hub... You can get this from toyota, or I've seen them on ebay etc... When you take all the nuts off to pull the hub... it will seem impossible to get off... There are little cylindrical tapered washers in there that must be taken out with a hammer and an awl.. Once you ee how it comes apart, it's not hard..

Ian

Reply to
EasyE

Reply to
EasyE

thanks for the info. all.

Yea, when I see it, I will know. Hope my light is working max lumen's.

One more thing , anything major diff on the rotor replace when working with auto hubs vs manual locking?

Dang it, Ian, sounds like you really enjoy get'n in the grease!

Reply to
ww

I agree, IF the hubs have to come off to get at the rotors. If the rotors can come off without pulling the entire hub, then leave the bearings alone.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

LOL.... Let's just say I know my Yota inside and out... evrything from rebuilding the front end after a crash, to lifting it, to painting it, to completely pulling my 22re after blowing it up and rebuilding the whole thing to nearly a race spec motor, to countless hours of installing and taking out just about every piece of electronic equipment you can think of after sinking it...lol Yes I do enjoy getting my hands dirty but it's usually a result of some hardcore wheeling with it... Now it's almost perfect and ready to be my daily driver.. sooo You should see my current project.. lol.. This one is unstoppable... haha

Ian

Reply to
EasyE