Head gasket failure

I have an early '95 tacoma 4x4 w/ the 3.0 V-6 (3VZE) & auto trans. The truck has a 170k miles on it and I've just blown a head gasket. Unforntunately I had to drive about 30 hard miles (mountain trails) to get back to civilization. I'm pretty sure I've fried the motor. It's been sitting for about 9 days now. The Toyota dealer wants $2600.00 (to me this means $3595.00) + towing 65 miles , and the local ASI guy wants $2800.00 (plus machine shop costs and probably means a similar price fluctuation). My guess is that it might be a $1,000.00 cheaper to install a used motor but I'm not sure yet. Motor prices appear to vary greatly. $1k to more than $7k (new). Also, if I'm going to replace the motor anyway, is it feasable to install a 3.4 as the 3.0 seems a little under powered. Any insight to these issues (or the ones I'm sure I'm over-looking), are very much appreciated. Thanks.

-Mike

Reply to
mjv

Seems to me this vehicle was recalled for head gasket problem. I'd check this out. If the vehicle has never been repaired by Toyota they may still honor the recall.

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Yes, you're right. Unforunately for me the recall was performed in

1998 according to the service writer at the Toyota dealership in Modesto, CA. I've found a used long block locally for $850. No idea on the milage but it does come with a 60 day warr. so I may go that route...It may be a whole other can of worms though...

Mike

Reply to
mjv

You might retorque the head bolts on the "used" long block before you use it. Engines with aluminum heads can sometimes loosen with age due to different expansion rates than steel bolts and cast iron block.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Greetings Mike, Since the head has to come off to replace the gasket why not remove it yourself and see what the engine looks like inside? Did water get into the oil? Or did the motor just get really hot? An overheated engine can warp the heads for sure but if the engine was running at the end of the trail it may not be so bad inside. A piston could have a hole in it and the cylinder walls could be scored but that would be obvious once the heads were off. If it was me, and only one head gasket was blown, I'd check the compression on the un-blown side. If it checked OK then I'd pull the bad head, inspect the cylinder walls for damage, if they pass then have any repairs needed to the head done, bolt it back on and see how the engine runs. If both head gaskets were blown but the cylinder walls were OK then I would inspect the heads (or have them inspected) and see if they need repair. If the head shop thinks they can be rebuilt then I would pull the engine andsend the heads out to be rebuilt. While the heads are being done I'd drop the oil pan and push all the pistons out. Then I'd re-ring the pistons and put new bearings in. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow